We’re excited to announce the first ever Outschool Science Fair!
A few months ago, a group of Outschool science teachers came to us with an idea: “We want to host a virtual science fair for Outschool learners,” they said. “Can you help us?”
“Heck yes!” we replied.
We’ve been wanting to explore ways to bring the larger Outschool learner community together, and this seemed like a great opportunity to give it a shot, with teachers leading the way.
In partnership with Outschool Science Teachers Unite!, we’re launching the 2020 Outschool Science Fair as a smallish experiment to start, to help us explore how we can build learner excitement and engagement around specific subject areas. If you are a science teacher, keep reading to find out how you can participate!
If you’re not a science teacher but are interested in creating a similar subject-based event, let us know!
What is the Outschool Science Fair? The Outschool Science Fair is an opportunity for learners to explore the Scientific Process and share their results with the wider community. To participate, learners will enroll in a free class hosted by the new Outschool Learner Community account on Outschool. Any learner can enroll and upload their science fair projects to the classroom:
- Outschool Science Fair (Ages 3-6)
- Outschool Science Fair (Ages 6-11)
- Outschool Science Fair (Ages 11-14)
- Outschool Science Fair (Ages 14-18)
(These class links are listed privately for now)
Learners will be encouraged to take a “Science Fair Prep” course from one of our participating teachers via a link displayed in the classroom description.
When Does This Take Place? The Outschool Science Fair 2020 student submissions will be accepted anytime between August 1 and Oct 30, 11:59 PM Pacific Time.
What are the prizes? The top 3 winners in each age group will be chosen by the OS team and the Outschool Science Teachers Unite! Facebook Group. Winners will receive a free Outschool T-shirt and $50 worth of free Outschool Science Classes!
How to Become a Participating Teacher Any teacher who would like to participate is encouraged to list a class as part of the Outschool Science Fair. To be included in our list of participating teachers you must:
- List a class that describes how you will teach to the submission guidelines and to the Judging Rubric for the particular age category as described in the class descriptions (Ages 3-6, 6-11, 11-14 and 14-18)
- Include the phrase “as part of the Outschool Science Fair” in the class summary of your listing
- Classes can be any format and length between August 1 and October 30, 2020.
- Once your class is approved, fill out this google form to be listed as a participating teacher.
If you have any questions that weren't answered here, feel free to reach out on the Outschool Science Teachers Unite! Facebook Page and see their FAQ or contact me, Fernando - The Learner Community Guy 😎 (email@example.com)
We look forward to seeing your classes!