A few weeks ago, we rolled out a new learner verification option to ensure the trust and safety of our learners and teachers.
As you know, Outschool Teachers are required to ensure that each participant in a class is, in fact, a child (ages 3-18). Though this is usually done by asking learners to turn their video on, we recognize that not all learners have video capabilities, or do not want to enable video for a number of reasons.
To accommodate those learners, we’ve added a new identity verification process so parents can verify their learners with Outschool directly.
To summarize, as an Outschool teacher you must confirm that all learners are indeed children through one of these 3 mechanisms:
1. The learner’s video is enabled throughout the class
2. The learner connects with you via video at the beginning of class, to allow you to verify the learner’s identity (the learner can then disable video after checking in)
3. A “verified” badge appears next to the learner’s name in your class roster. If a learner has a verified badge, they are cleared to have their video off during class and have been verified by a member of our team:
There may be situations when you cannot confirm the learner’s identity via one of these methods. If this occurs, please:
(1) Gently explain our policy and let them know you’ll follow up after class
(2) Remove them from class
(3) Notify us at email@example.com.
After class, please contact the parent to explain the policy (if relevant), and present one or some of the following options: (1) transfer the learner to another section so she can make up the missed session with video enabled; (2) provide access to the class recording after the learner has gotten the verified badge; or (3) withdraw the learner.
If you run into any issues with parents over this process, we’ve got your back. Direct them to us for a refund (we’ll take it out of our pocket, not yours) and let us know if you receive a negative review as a result of this policy; we’ll investigate and remove the review as appropriate.
If you have any questions about a specific situation, please don’t hesitate to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. For reference, parents can find a parent-facing version of the policy here and we will proactively share this with families to eliminate any confusion.
As a reminder, you can bookmark this page to check up on future product & policy updates for teachers.
Thanks for teaching on Outschool!