On Outschool, you may hear members of the Outschool community referring to EPIC. EPIC is a framework created by the Outschool team based on feedback from our parents, learners, and educators. The common language surrounding this framework supports outstanding instruction and learning experiences.
What makes Outschool EPIC?
- Outschool classes are empowering spaces where students explore their passions through intentionally planned lessons, while connecting with others.
- Outschool educators empower their learners by sharing their passions through intentionally planned lessons, while making meaningful connections with their learners.
- Outschool parents empower their children to explore their passions by intentionally enrolling in engaging classes where they can connect with other learners, around the world, who share their passions.
Benefits of the EPIC Framework
Loves learning about it
Sets goals and achieves mastery
Journeys toward great heights
Making a commitment to creating a space where learners develop self-confidence and know that their voice matters.
- Encourage learners to share their ideas
- Provide many opportunities to do so
- Allow all voices to be heard and don’t let one student dominate the class
- Celebrate the unique strengths in their learners
- Use frequent and varied praise
- Use effort-based language, i.e. “I am impressed by how hard you worked” over personal praise, “You are so smart” etc.
- Read all Notes from the Parents to prepare for learner needs
- Provide resources for learners to continue their journey
- Share articles in the classroom
- Offer optional extensional materials like links to websites and Google searches
- Know their voice matters
- Are able to apply their knowledge
- Develop confidence and a sense self
P- Passion Driven
Demonstrating an interest in sharing your passions with learners and helping learners discover and foster their passions.
Passion Driven Educators:
- Possess a deep understanding and interest in the topics they teach
- Develop unique content
- Ensure they offer multiple and global perspectives
- Are honest when they do not know an answer
- Use age-appropriate materials that connect topics to other areas of learner interest
- Incorporate games
- Ask what students are excited to learn
Passion Driven Learners:
- Develop a deep understanding about their passions
- Recognize the power and joy of pursuing their interests by completing authentic learning tasks
Utilizing a thoughtful approach to choosing topics, planning classes, choosing instructional and tech resources and empowering learners.
- Develop classes with clear expectations and outcomes
- Backwards plan: think about what you want students to get out of your class and design the activities to drive towards the goal
- Plan for common what ifs: learner doesn’t have materials, learner is disruptive, class ends early,…
- Share your expectations and outcomes at the beginning of class, this is empowering to students
- Creatively apply pedagogical tools to enhance learner experiences in a remote setting
- Plan how they will empower and connect with their learners
- Create open-ended questions in which all students can engage
- Understand the expectations and purpose of the class
- Plan how they will engage in class
- Solve problems using critical thinking skills
Leveraging the Outschool platform, global community, and technology to connect with learners, parents and colleagues.
- Are responsive to the needs and concerns of learners and their families
- Respond to parent and learner communication/emails within 48 hours
- Offer a variety of ways for a learner to engage in a class or classroom
- Teach from an international, not US-centric, lens.
- Allow learners to share different regional language, terms, ideas
- Celebrate all perspectives, but ensure they are grounded in fact/science
- Opt-into Professional Development
- Participate in an Outschool PLC
- Join the Outschool teacher hub
- Connect with other people who share their passions
- Actively participate in class activities
- Feel seen, heard, and validated
- Participate in Outschool’s learner community
- Leverage technologies to access new learning opportunities